Tuesday, November 25, 2008

THOSE WERE THE DAYS

My mom sent me this picture of my grandmother, grandfather, great grandfather (the pork chop one, he's in the back with the hat on, we all called him "dad") my aunt and uncle, my great aunt and uncle, second cousin's and my mom. My mom is in the front with the Levi's on. That's my grandmother with the bandanna on. I think I would like to have a Thanksgiving like this someday, I think most of my family would go for it. I wish I could go back in time and sit down with all of them right there on that quilt and just listen to them talk and I'll bet that food was so good. My mom tells the story behind this picture below. Here's to pecan pie, candied yams and lots of leftovers. Have a peaceful Thanksgiving.



Thanksgiving 1955. Daddy and Hamp co-owned a cottonpicker and had to get their cotton picked and to the gin so they could make extra money by hiring themselves out to pick cotton for other farmers. The cotton they raised paid the bills for the year and the extra cotton picking jobs were profit. So, Mom and Fritz cooked the turkey and all the trimmings and we took the food out to where they were picking the cotton and had our Thanksgiving at the end of the cotton row. Times were hard and we didn't have much but we were all happy and had much to be thankful for. This was in Buckeye where Hamp and Fritz lived. Bill was stationed in Phoenix and he and Elaine had been married almost a year. It must have been a warm day as nobody had a sweater on.
Mom

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails